The saga of the headache that is.
So yesterday I finally managed to recover enough to drag myself to the shops in search of something to take to work for my lunch today. When I left the house I felt ok, a slight tightness in the head area reminding me that not much early it had been aching, but basically I was ok. By the time I returned (about 20 minutes later) the pain had returned with a vengeance. It got so bad that I finally gave in and took some Ibuprofen before calling my boyfriend to ask when he would be coming over. He said half an hour, so I switched off the light and lay down on the bed. The pain died down, whether because of headache tablet or the darkness I’ll probably never know. I don’t really care. The pain in my head decreased enough to stop making me feel sick, that’s all that matters. Later Jan came home and made me a cup of tea and some potato croquettes (the only thing that I could even consider eating), which I drank and ate in my dimly lit room. Then we went to be incredibly early to get a good night’s sleep. You’d think after that I’d have felt perfectly fine this morning, but no. I woke up to find my headache still there. Not as bad as it had been, but definitely there. And it’s been gradually getting worse throughout the day. I’ve been trying out various methods of stopping the pain.Here are some things I’ve found out:
- Sleeping is good for headaches. While you’re asleep you don’t feel the pain. If you’re lucky the pain will actually stay away once you wake up.
- If you still feel even the slightest bit of pain when you wake up getting out of bed will make the headache come back. Lying down in a darkened room is good. Getting up to go to the toilet causes pain.
- The big light on my ceiling is evil. It’s far too bright, and it shines in my face when I lie on the bed. This makes my head feel much worse.
- The little reading lamp next to the bed is good. I can point it away from me towards the ceiling. This allows me to see the incredibly hot tea I’m trying to drink without making me head worse.
- Tea is good. Tea makes the pain go away, at least while I’m drinking the tea. The effect even lasts for a few minutes after the tea is finished. I like tea.
- Water, on the other hand, is crap. There are billions of websites out there telling you drinking water will cure a headache. Ha! All it did for me was make me get up three times in the night to pee. Totally crap.
I’m off now to make a nice cup of headache curing tea. Hopefully by this time tomorrow I’ll be back to my usual headache free self.