It was my last day at work today. I’ve taken tomorrow off then we’re closed from Thursday until 4th January. Now the Christmas season is officially allowed to start (not that anybody actually listens to me or anything… as those who read my last post will know, the seasonal stuff has been going on for so long now I’m actually starting to wish it was all over!)
We’re travelling up to Jan’s parent’s place tomorrow, which means right now I should be sorting out the flat to prevent the leftover food and dirty dishes from going on a rampage while I’m gone and killing all the neighbours. In case you hadn’t guesed from the words “should be”, that is not in fact what I’m doing. Instead I’m sitting in front of the computer sulking because I’m cold and tired (I was up at 5:30 this morning!) and because Jan is coming back from Hamburg tonight (where work sent him at short notice on Friday and where he should have been back from yesterday!) and he has to go straight to his place to pack for going away tomorrow, so I won’t see him until we’re actually on the train which just isn’t faaair. I have bought and wrapped the very last of this year’s presents and managed to pack all my stuff though, so I’m not entirely useless.
Anyway, in case I don’t manage to blog again I shall take this opportunity to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2010. I promise to be a better blogger next year. Love to you all. ♥
Does anyone else feel like “the season” has been going on forever? The last few weeks have been a whirlwind of buying and wrapping presents, trips to the post office (the last of my parcels to England finally went out last week), parties and Christmas markets. And in between all that I’ve had to do the assessment for my science course (a last minute job which I’m dreading getting the result for), work and keep on top the mundane every day things like cleaning the flat and making sure we have actual food to eat. The upside is that I now have lots to tell my blog. Unfortunately I still don’t have any time, so it’s going to have to be another boring bullet point list. Sorry about that…
- I want to Mainz last Saturday with my ex-colleagues. I had never been to Mainz before. We went to the Christmas market, where the Glühwein was much cheaper than everywhere else I’ve been. Mainz is a bit of a strange town. It’s really pretty around the market square then you walk into the shopping street and it’s all horrible grey concrete buildings and huge glass monstrosities. The Christmas market was nice though.
- It’s been snowing here on and off for the past few days. This is worth mentioning because it’s so unusual. Not that Karlsruhe never gets snow, but the little bit that does come is not usually this early. It’s also freezing. Yesterday it was -12°C! I had to go out in it to buy stuff for a Christmas party I hosted last night. It was so bad that I actually got on the tram to go one stop, which I usually think is a waste of time.
- I had a progress meeting at work last week. There are a few things I’ve been asked to work on, but the verdict was generally positive (and no mention was made of my social skills… or lack thereof. There is something to be learned from this I’m sure…)
- Last week we went to both my work Christmas meal (at an Italian restaurant) and Jan’s work Christmas party. Mine was more fun, although we missed the last train home and ended up having to wait until 1:06am for a train that would take us to Bruchsal, where we had to change onto an S-Bahn. I also had to work the next day. Tired is not the word…
- I received a parcel last week, from the lovely Katyboo. It contained a Christmas card and a book – The Children of Green Knowe. Unexpected and very nice – I’ve been wanting to read that book for ages!
- On Friday I went to the Christmas market in Mannheim with my colleagues. It was nice but so cold that we only stayed long enough to have something to eat and drink one Glühwein. I was back in Karlsruhe by 9pm!
- Two more days at work then I’m off for Christmas. We’re staying in Germany this year (at Jan’s dad’s place) then going to Italy to visit his sister for New Year. Exciting stuff.
And now I have to go and do something about my flat, which is still suffering from the after effects of a Christmas party. It may take some time…
I can’t believe December is a week old already. Where is the time going? I could have sworn it was only just summer…
Anyway, I’ve been a really, really bad blogger lately. Between illness, seminars and Christmas shopping I just can’t seem to find the time for anything! The good news is that I’ve almost finished buying all my Christmas presents. The bad news is I’m also almost out of money and I still have to send several packages to England. Oh, and then there’s the little matter of paying the electricity bill but we won’t talk about that…
I put Christmas decorations up in the flat at the weekend. Very exciting! I’ve never had a place of my very own to decorate before Between that and all the presents I’ve wrapped the living room currently looks a bit like Santa’s grotto. A very messy Santa’s grotto admittedly (I desperately need to tidy the flat but the whole no time thing just keeps getting in the way!) but it’s all very festive. Jan and I also went to the Christmas market on Saturday and I tried some cherry Glühwein, which was delicious. Definitely getting in the spirit over here
I promise to come and visit you all soon, but right now I have to go and do the computer marked assignment for my science course. I haven’t been able to work on it much lately but I refuse to fail now that I’m so close to the end!
In the meantime, why don’t you leave me a comment and let me know what you’ve all been up to….