One of the most exciting things about our trip to Ireland – apart from the fact that I actually have friends who like me enough to go on holiday with me. Oh, and all the cool stuff we’re going to see of course – is all the wonderful food they have there. The Republic of Ireland may not be part of the United Kingdom, but when it comes to eating we have very similar tastes. With over a month to go until we leave, I’m already dreaming of all the foods I’m going to eat…
- Full Irish breakfasts. Sausages, eggs, bacon, baked beans… just thinking about it makes me drool!
- Roast dinners! We’re going to be there on at two Sundays, which means at least one proper roast dinner is a must. I can almost taste the Yorkshire Pudding…
- Fish and Chips. With loads of salt and vinegar, of course!
- Galaxy chocolate. I may not eat any while I’m there, but it’s definitely coming back with me.
- Sausage rolls and pasties and pies. Because the Irish are like us and have realised that putting savoury things inside pastry actually works very well.
- Cottage pie. I occasionally get to eat this at the local Irish pub, and I can make it myself as well, but if I spy it on a menu in Ireland I may be unable to resist…
- Sausages and mash. I am sooo looking forward to a sausage that isn’t a Bratwurst!
- Irish stew. I think this is the only thing on the list that is actually Irish, rather than British or Irish. Any dish that features lamb and potatoes is bound to be a hit with me!
OK, I have to stop now. Just writing this list is making me hungry, so I’m off to cook tonight’s tea!