There is something I want to post about this week, but today I don’t have time to do it justice, so in honour of tonight being quiz night, here’s some Tuesday trivia for you.
- The romance novelist Barbara Cartland was the step-grandmother of Diana, Pricess of Wales. Cartland’s daughter, Raine, married Diana’s father, the Eighth Earl Of Spencer.
- The firefly is not actually a fly, but a beetle.
- Gandhi was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize five times but never won it. The closest he came was in 1948, when he was nominated a few days before he died. The prize committed decided not to honour him post humously, but instead didn’t award the prize that year, stating that there were “No suitable living persons”.
- In Sweden, in 1979, a number of people called in sick to work with a case of “being homosexual,” in protest of homosexuality being classified as an illness. Within a few months, Sweden became one of only very few countries at that time to declassify homosexuality as an illness.
- Air Force One is the official air traffic control call sign of a United States Air Force aircraft carrying the President of the United States. This means, when the president is not there, the plane is no longer Air Force One.
- California’s vehicle licence plates have been manufactured at Folsam State Prison since the 1930s. That’s the same prison as in the Johnny Cash song “Folsam Prison Blues”.
- Suzanne Collins, author of the best-selling Hunger Games trilogy, worked as a writer for the television show “Clarissa Explains It All”.
- Melissa Joan Hart, who played Clarissa in the aforementioned TV series, went on to play Sabrina in Sabrina the Teenage Witch.
- Kevin Clash, who provides the voice of Elmo on Sesame Street, also played Baby Sinclair in the Sitcom Dinosaurs.
- Albert Einstein was offered the presidency of Israel in 1952 but turned it down, stating “I am deeply moved by the offer from our State of Israel, and at once saddened and ashamed that I cannot accept it.
That’s ten facts… enough for one day, I think. Need to save some for next time ;-)