I made this delicious pie for the second time the other day, and this time I remembered to take photos, which means you, my lovely readers, get a recipe (and I can actually look up how to do it next time instead of guessing and hoping it comes out as nice as the time before… always a danger with made up recipes!). This is perfect as a comfort food or for a warm, hearty meal on a cold day.
Chicken, Leek and Bacon Mashed Potato Topped Pie
You will need:
450 g chicken breast, chopped into bite-sized pieces
1 large leek, chopped fairly small
1 packet bacon pieces
1 tub crème fraîche
4 large potatoes, diced
About 1 tsp tarragon
Salt and black pepper
Butter, for mash
Optional: Grated cheese
The above amount serves two, but could be stretched to more if you add a side dish of salad or vegetables.
What to do:
1. Heat some oil (I use olive oil) in a pan and fry the bacon bits for about a minute. Meanwhile, place some water on to boil in a saucepan.
2. Add the chicken to the pan and continue frying, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is almost completely cooked through.
Also, put the diced potatoes in the water as soon as it starts to boil.
3. Add the leek to the pan with the chicken/bacon and fry until soft, stirring occasionally.
4. Drain the potatoes then place them back in the pan and mash them with some button and about a teaspoon of the crème fraîche.
Season to taste with salt, freshly ground black pepper and nutmeg.
5. Stir about a teaspoon of tarragon into the frying pan with the chicken, bacon and leek (fresh is best, but you can use dried if that’s all you’ve got…
I use a a jar with fresh tarragon in oil), then stir in the remainder of the crème fraîche. Add salt and pepper to the mixture to taste.
6. Place the chicken, leek and bacon mixture into two small or one medium-sized oven proof dishes and spread it out so it covers the bottom.
7. Cover the chicken, leek and bacon mixture with the mashed potatoes and spread it out to complete cover the chicken, etc. layer.
You can then add some grated cheese to the top if you want I did – I used Cheddar).
8. Place the pie in the oven on around 180°C (350°F) until the cheese has melted, then sit back and enjoy your pie. Caution: It will be very hot!
12 thoughts on “Chicken, leek and bacon mashed potato topped pie”
I have to do this with all my made-up recipes– I’ve begun with photographing the final product on my phone, so I remember what all went it, but this is more thorough! Thanks for this recipe, will try it out!
I only take this many photos if I plan to post a recipe on my blog. Usually I just take a photo of the end product if I’m proud of what I made 🙂
All my favourite foods are in this! Great recipe! x
Any recipe with mashed potato and cheese is a hit with me! And this one is sooo delicious.
I just love recipes that include leek. Very happy to have found this one it’s something different that I haven’t had. 🙂
I’d never really had leek until I came to Germany (we never had it at home), but now I love it! I would eat it every day if I could.
I agree! We never really ate it in the States either.
Chicken and leek pie is always a good choice! I’ll ave to try your recipe someday!
Chicken and leek just go so well together!
Yum yum yum A pie made with those ingredients is right up my street!
Great recipe. Top marks. Thanks for posting this.