My birthday is creeping ever closer, and even though I’m definitely not going to complete all the items on my 35 before 35 list, I’ve enjoyed it so much that I decided to make a new list, of things to do before I turn 40 – even though the idea that my next milestone is forty makes me feel slightly sick. HOW CAN THAT BE? I am still very far from having 40 things on my list – it took me long enough to think of 35 last time never mind an extra 5! But I thought I would share with you what I have so far.
- Go to the festival of lights in Lyon
- Beat Jan at mini golf – he always wins, but just once I would like to beat him
- Make flour soup (a staple of Basel Fasnacht)
- Watch 10 films in German – I hate watching dubbed English films, so this will probably also mean finding 10 German films!
- Read the rest of the books from the BBC Big Read Top 200 – I’m not going to finish this by August, but I do want to read them all so I’m rolling it over to my 40 before 40.
- Learn basic Ukrainian – get to at least level 3 on Duolingo
- Visit Ukraine – this was on my original list, but I changed it due to safety concerns. I’m hoping in the next 5 years things will calm down a bit…
- Go out for afternoon tea
- Build a snowman – surely at some point in the next 5 years there will be enough snow for me to do this?
- Visit Auschwitz
- Look for dwarfs in Wroclaw
- See the leaning tower of Pisa – it’s probably not even that impressive, but I just want to see it
- Read 25 non-fiction books – apparently 50 was too ambitious last time, but 25 should be doable, right?
- Read a book published in each year of my life, so one book each from the years 1983 until 2023 (I don’t have to read them in order!)
- Give at least 100 pounds or euros to three separate charities
I do have a couple more, but I think 15 is enough for one post. I don’t havy anywhere near 40 though, so please let me know in the comments if you have any other ideas for things I could do. I will at least consider anything that isn’t bungee jumping!