Hello! I’ve finally finished dwelling on the past (well, almost – Show Us Your Books is still to come, in which I will be recapping December’s reading) so now I can reveal the goals I want to work on for 2020. Like last year, I am breaking it down into different sections, namely reading goals, cleaning goals, health goals and social/life goals. So, let’s get on with it.
Read 100 books (Good Reads challenge goal). Of these:
- 10 should be non-fiction – I failed at this last year but one year I am determined to achieve it!
- 12 should be from the BBC Big Read list – I managed 8 last year so I’m going to try and top that.
- 36 should have been physically on my to-read shelf before the year started – I have way too many unread books that I really should be getting to before buying even more! 36 is just three a month, so that gives me plenty of scope for reading newly acquired books I’m excited about.
- 6 should be in German – I have a few German books on my shelves that sound really good but I’ve fallen out of the habit of reading in German so I need to get back to that!
- 12 should be rereads of books I already own and need to read again before deciding whether to keep them (the aim here being to hopefully make room on my shelves for more books).
Deep clean once per month. I did pretty well on it last month, so I’m sticking with it. This will include:
- Cleaning the bathrooms/kitchen including mopping the floors
- Changing the bedding
- Cleaning the oven (although the new one has a “cleaning” function so that won’t be as hard as it used to be)
- Hoovering and dusting the entire flat
- Taking away recycling, etc. as needed
Some of those things I obviously do much more than once a month, but I want to check off that I’ve definitely done them at least once a month. Otherwise I can definitely go several months without ever taking out the mop…
- Eat a piece of fruit or a vegetable with every meal. Last year I tried to eat my 5 a day on at least 3 days a week, but it was too hard to track. Someone mentioned they eat fruit or vegetables with every meal (it might have been Hazel? If I’m wrong and it was you let me know!) and I thought it was a great idea so I’m going to try that this year.
- No more than two cups of black tea per day. I did really well with this last year – I may have had more than two over Christmas in England, but other than that most days I actually only had one – so I shall continue with it.
- Drink at least two pint glasses of water per day. I started well with this last year then started slacking around September so I’ll try again.
- Go for a walk once a week. I did not get even close to enough exercise last year. This will be a start. I will allow walking to the supermarket and back to count if it’s the supermarket at the train station, but not if I walk to any of our local ones.
- Write at least two pen pal letters every month. I got way behind last year and didn’t write to some people at all. This year I will be better! I’ve already three in January so I’m winning 😉
- Take some kind of in-person course. It doesn’t matter what, as long as it’s something I have to physically go to and interact with actual people.
That’s all I’ve got. I think it’s enough for one year. I will let you know how I get on with them.
Do you have any goals for the year (or month or quarter)?