I’ve been a terrible blogger recently, both in terms of actually posting on my own blog and visiting other people’s. Sorry about that. I have a proper blog post coming up for you later this week, but that will have to wait as our home computer has decided to make uploading photos to a post stupidly complicated (can’t upload directly to a post – have to go via the media library). In the meantime, I’m taking the cheat’s way out and giving you some more little snippets in the form of a bullet point list…
- No matter what time I go to bed or how well I sleep, 6 a.m. will always be too early to wake up. I was in bed at a reasonably time last night, but I still had to hit snooze twice before I could drag myself out of bed.
- Obviously I would never complain about not having to work for four whole days, but Easter weekend has me completely confused. What do you mean today is Tuesday?!
- We went out for the day with a friend on Sunday and on the way back she introduced us to the Welcome to Nightvale series of podcasts. It’s bizarre and amusing and I like it a lot.
- The temperature confuses me at this time of year (yes, I’m easily confused. That’s why this is Confuzzledom). It was 8°C when I left the house this morning, but it’s supposed to get up to 22°C during the course of the day. What am I supposed to wear?!
- Jan and I have been keeping an eye on our friends’ birds over the Easter weekend and I’m very pleased to say they were still very much alive when we went to check on them and refill their water/food yesterday 😉
- I really, really like chickpeas, but I always seem to do the same thing with them. If anyone has any brilliant ideas for tasty chickpea-based meals that aren’t curry please send them my way!
- My grandpa is now on oxygen all the time and he’s been put on more painkillers. The consultant says it’s just a matter of time, but they’ve been saying that for 8 weeks so who knows how much longer this could go on.
And that’s all. No pictures today because I’m on my lunch break at work and don’t have access to any. Boring post, I know, but I need these once in a while to keep track of where my mind is…
This seems to be becoming my default blog post recently… in the absence of any one thing worth writing a whole post on, it’s all about the little snippets from my every day life. Bullet points that say nothing, really…
- More than a month after we were told my grandpa had days to live he’s still hanging on in there. He’s been moved to a different hospital in the town my grandma lives in (much more convenient!) and my dad said last week that he’s not really drinking any more, so he was going to get put on a drip so he doesn’t dehydrate.
- I’m now halfway through my week of eating peanuts while the boyfriend is away and I’ve discovered that I don’t like Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups (too sickly!) but I could eat Reese’s Pieces all day. They are YUM! Maybe it’s a good thing I normally try to avoid peanut related foods…
- I don’t know if it’s because the weather has turned cold again or how absolutely crazy work’s been lately, but this week I’ve been sooo tired. I was in bed by 9:30 last night and still didn’t want to get up this morning.
- Once a month, I go out for a meal with my colleagues. This month’s meal is tonight and we’re going for Asian food. Just thinking about it makes me drool. I see Peking Duck in my future!
- I’ve just discovered that the TV channel SIXX shows an episode of ER at 6:30 p.m. every evening. The other day, I watched the one where Romano gets squished by a helicopter! It’s still weird watching it in Germany (I keep thinking “but that’s not his voice!”), but it’s still fun to watch it… a bit like visiting old friends. Sure, I could just watch my DVDs (I have the box sets of seasons 1-5) but watching it on TV is somehow a different experience… even if it is in the wrong language 😉
- My little brother is coming to visit me in July! I haven’t had a visitor since my sister and her boyfriend came in 2012 (for the Formula 1) so this is very exciting news.
And that’s all from me. I have a few plans this weekend, so hopefully after that I’ll have something more interesting to tell you. In the mean time, if you’re currently trying to learn a language (any language) go and read this absolutely fantastic post by Lady of the Cakes: Language Matters: Do You Sound Like Yourself?
In between recipes and throwbacks to when I was cute, I thought I’d give you a few updates on how my life looks right now…
- I logged on to Facebook this morning to find that my dad’s cousin has become the father of a little girl and one of my cousins has got engaged. Meanwhile, I’m over the moon that my boyfriend managed to make time to come to a party with me at the weekend… How does this committed, long-term relationship thing work again? Cos I’m pretty sure I’m doing it wrong.
- My grandpa was moved to a different hospital just over a week ago – one in the same town where my grandma lives, so it’s much more convenient. The doctor there has said the way he’s looking now, it could be weeks rather than days but nobody can really say for sure. He could still go at any time… or he could hang on until after his birthday (he will turn 80 if he does).
- I’ve actually been given a “nice” (i.e. interesting and challenging) text to translate thanks to my colleague being on maternity leave and everyone else being busy. Now I’m terrified I won’t do as good a job as said colleague and will have to spend the rest of my life translating only technical and financial texts. Aaargh, the pressure! (I am a good translator, but my colleague is an amazing translator, so she usually gets all the texts that have even a chance of reaching an audience other than IT support people.)
- I’ve been cross stitching lots of cards recently. I’ve just finished one for my grandma and started on a Mother’s Day card for my mam. I’m actually quite enjoying stitching the smaller designs – it means I get to finish them before I get bored!
And that’s it for today. I hope you weren’t expecting more. If anything truly interesting had happened I would have blogged about it before now…