Family… can’t live with them, can’t murder them in their sleep!

So, it seems my Grandma is in hospital with pneumonia. How did I find this out? Facebook! And not in a personal message to me either… I discovered it from my sister’s status. Thanks for letting me know family! The last time I checked, moving abroad didn’t magically make her no longer my grandma…
I admit I’m not the best at keeping in touch (I wonder where I get that from?!) but you would have thought for something important somebody might have found a few minutes to send me a quick text message! Welcome to life as a member of my family people. This, by the way, is about 90% of the reason I’m still on Facebook (the other 10% being I’m nosy and like to see what people are up to…). When I lived in Austria I didn’t have Facebook. In the time I was there, the only person who phoned or e-mailed me on a semi-regular basis was my dad. I heard from my mum maybe twice (in 10 months!) and my sister not at all. No postcards, no text messages and not one single e-mail… Families. Can’t live with them, can’t murder them in their sleep!

(To be fair to my sister, I should add that after I commented on her status, she did message me to let me know what had happened… apparantly she had assumed my mum would have told me.)

On an entirely unrelated note, I had to go to the train station yesterday to buy some baking ingredients. I wanted to make chocolate brownies and had forgotten to buy chocolate! Yes, I am that bright at times… The shop in the train station is one of the very few places where you can actually buy things on a Sunday (the other option is petrol stations), so that was where I had to go. It had been raining and I liked how shiny the autumn leaves looked (those that hadn’t been trodden to mush already, anyway) so I took some photos along the way. Enjoy!

Vee are very sorry for ze late

I am just not finding the time to do anything lately, despite now having a ticket for the fast train. There are dishes from 2 days ago still waiting to be washed, I really need to clean the fridge out before I go away on Friday (it still stinks of mouldy raspberries even though I threw them out like a week ago) and I wanted to have a shower tonight to save me going out with wet hair in the morning, but it’s 8:05 pm already and I’m still waiting for tea to cook (stupid ridiculously slow oven!) so I shouldn’t imagine too many of those things are going to get done tonight. OK, I could probably be cleaning out the fridge right now instead of typing this, but do you honestly think I’ll still want to eat anything if I do that? See… point made!
So instead let me tell you a few things I learned over the weekend…

  1. Never, ever go food shopping at 8 o’clock on a Friday night when the Saturday is a holiday.
  2. Teenage wannabe goths dress exactly the same way now as they did when I was 15
  3. No amount of chocolate covered marshmallows can make up for a lack of sex. They will, however, make you feel sick and cause your teeth to hate you. (Before anybody makes any comments I would just like to add that this is no longer relevant. And now we change the subject, ok)
  4. Getting dressed on a Sunday is totally overrated
  5. So is exercise
  6. Amazon is incredibly hazardous to my bank account

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering about the title… my train to work was delayed this morning and that was what the English announcement sounded like. German rail workers’ accents are so much fun 😀